Monday, February 17, 2014

Phantoms in the Brain

My journey began today. A test that I thought I'd surely fail - didn't seem that hard when I finished. I was excited, I was happy and I high-fived a phantom. Not a 5 like you did - but am damn freaking proud I could do it!

I looked at the students around me. A bit nervous but mostly really thrilled at taking their first breath under water. The smile I smiled inside me wasn't really for me - at least not all of it. The specter that travels with me smiled back - it understood what that smile meant. It made my smile brighter. 

Mask removal, regulator recovery, the big OKAY - all the little moments that my apparition saw me struggle through. A stern word or two about dangling consoles surfaces up into my consciousness - I immediately look to see it secured to my BCD and wink a sarcastic wink to the empty space. 

Everyone's out of the water. "Thank you, Mehul" - "You're very very welcome! So excited for the deep water next week?". "I can't wait" said a haunting memory. 

1 comment:

Thank you visitor # for wanting a part of my thoughts..