Thursday, June 11, 2009

Let's talk...

Today I went for a random systems biology symposium at Rutgers. When I got to the breakfast, all the tables were full save one with a few chinese folk. I sat down and wished everyone a good morning and was hoping to start a conversation. I like to talk to new people, I like to meet people at conferences or in general. "Good morning" came the reply and then promptly they started talking to each other in their language. WTF !!

I just don't get it...conferences, symposia, meetings, group discussions, journal clubs are meant to exchange ideas; keyword - EXCHANGE. There was no exchange between me and anyone else during the course of the conference. God knows I tried.

I don't understand this isolationist stand. I've seen it amongst Indians as well. They tend to flock together and really start gabbing in their hindi or gujarati or whatnot. Even when there is a foreign presence who probably can't even pick out words and snippets. It annoys the life out of me. Personal experiences aplenty since in a group of turkish people, I'll sometimes just be staring and the same for Asli in a group of Indian people. Noticed the same when there is a group of chinese people, russians, spanish..doesn't matter.

I get it..don't get me wrong. I do get it. You want to speak your own tongue, there's comfort in the flock...but not when you want to exchange ideas, have a conversation, not want to alienate someone. But if we want to improve, understand and respond, we need to be able to communicate.

2 comments:

  1. NAmrata Shetty-Phadke at 7:34pm June 11
    I so echo ur sentiments Mehul! been thru the same predicament n number of times :(

    Siddharth Wagh at 8:35pm June 11
    well said... toh kya chal raha hai aaj kal Mehul? ;)

    Rupin Dhamankar at 9:34pm June 11
    Could not agree more!!! Me and my roomie in Wayne State were like social outcasts among the Indian junta coz we hung out with more 'non-Indians' and didn't speak in any Indian languages among each other!!

    Merwin Fernandes at 10:43pm June 11
    I agree.

    Amar Ghaisas at 11:08pm June 11
    Bullz eye Mehul!!! Though, I would like to add that don't beat yourself up just because "the flock" does not attend seminars and conferences with a grandeur attitude "to exchange ideas or having a decent conversation or even making casual friends" such as yours ... what you must understand is that you, flock and the rest are standing on three corners of a triangle and they won't meet unless they all have the same concept of walking perpendicular to the other edge ... do you get the drift? And by saying that I do not wish to underestimate your ideology or sentiments .. in fact I don't wish to because I agree with you .. but this agreement does not necessarily mean that the "flock" too bears the same ideology .. most of the time, most disappointingly they don't! So, if I were you, I would continue to share a warm "good morning" with flocks but not expect much in return and if by some chance more comes your way then it would mean that you met someone who's ready to walk the distance ..

    Kirti Manian at 11:36pm June 11
    Same thing used to happen..think its a common symptom of most universities abroad....the familiar angle and why you need the comfort of your own in a different land. I made myself a policy when I was studying in the UK- didnt hang out with the Indian junta and had only 'gora' friends...Used to get all sorts of questions thrown at me for doing that!

    Mehul Vora at 7:48am June 12
    See, the thing is that I don't mind the grouping together. Sometimes it actually helps; if you cant exchange ideas amongst others, atleast you'll get a chance within your own group..but that's just so darn limiting. I'm in a line of business which needs and thrives on ideas, critiques, analysis, comments and encouragement. It's not going to go anywhere with an isolationist attitude.

    Madhavi Latha at 12:55pm June 12
    :)

    Purvi Vora at 1:06am June 14
    Actually, the person seeking new ideas will find them no matter what. Its the folks who wish to isolate themselves who will suffer!
    -Yoda :D

    Amar Ghaisas at 2:29am June 14
    Even though I don't know you, a quote by Yoda - the greatest Jedi of all time, compelled me to comment .. bravo Purvi, bravo! Well said!!

    Valentine Borges at 1:56am June 15
    People flock together as it gives them a sense of security. Often there is a sense of insecurity when you are in new place (like a conference/symposium) and have someone looking over your shoulders or a few localites around you.
    Amongst a few of us who don't, go and reach out to others mingle. We befriend, exchange and so on. That's a virtue or and attitude we wear, but we cannot expect all to be the same. Least we do is to carry it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mehul, i strongly believe this is one of the reasons the Aussies are taking Indians out there. This was said by someone i know, which sort of is true according to me: Indians (and maybe others too..u know better) have the tendancy to make their presence felt. This inturn irritates the locals.... is it ?? This is something diff towhat u say here....but just thought of it.
    Rohan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you visitor # for wanting a part of my thoughts..