Thursday, May 21, 2009

Finally I succumbed..

and joined a library. My first time ever. I guess the recession has come down to grass-root levels now. Just cannot afford to buy $27 (yes!!) hardcovers any more.

But I think that even the library is soon (give or take 5-10 years) will become an antiquity. With gizmos like Amazon's Kindle where you can view .pdfs and word documents just like paper (yup..you would think that there's just a sheet of paper underneath the screen), instant access to Wikipedia (ok..not the best of sources but useful enough), dictionaries, and even a crude web-browser, reading is going to be revolutionized. A short search on the torrent sites gives me almost any book that I would like to read. If you don't want to go the pirate way, then just buy an electronic version of the same book - they come in that format now as well. You can carry your electronic library with you everywhere.

Until I can save up enough (or a few GREAT friends buy it for me - *hint - get the Kindle DX* ) I'm going to be going to the library ! Yay for free public libraries !

1 comment:

  1. I joined a library the minute I realized that they have a great graphic novel collection :D
    Real life-saver that.

    For a Kindle to catch my attention I need a color version. Comics cannot be foregone easily :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you visitor # for wanting a part of my thoughts..