Monday, September 15, 2008

Just not prepared...

So I just walked out of my teaching assignment and it was dismal at best... GOD ! I was so not prepared to teach...well, that's not entirely true. I did read up and solve the problems and thought that I had it all worked out well on paper and in my head..apparently not.

I started off well, had the classes attention and then I blundered in one problem. That's ok...I'm not perfect. I made a mistake but I didn't panic. I looked at what I'd written on the chalkboard and then I panicked !! I was completely lost..I had no clue what came next. I turned around, looked at the class and I guess they could see the big "?" on my face..it sucked to see that look on their faces.

I asked them to give me a moment and I ended up taking several. I still didn't get it. All I could do was apologize to them. I guess this is the first time it has happened to me and so I blundered all over the next 20 mins remaining in the section. Ultimately I could only apologize to them..not because I was sorry that I couldn't explain it to them - but because I wasted their time and ultimately their money. I looked at the problems after the section and I could solve every one of them in a matter of seconds...

It was embarrassing, humiliating and extremely humbling. I wasn't not prepared for the recitation; I just wasn't prepared to blank out.

I didn't teach much today; but I learned so much....

4 comments:

  1. sounds like stage fright almost! i liked what you said alot at the end...that you didnt teach anything, but you learned so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that I actually have a responsibility to the kids; didn't matter that I am forced to teach them. I learned that you can be as prepared as you can and sometimes things just don't go ANYTHING like you hope they would. Finally I learned that once you get through the initial humiliation/embarrassment/shock/surprise, you realize that you are probably going to do it sometime again..you can take it in your stride or panic more the next time you see it happen. Basically..prepare just a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What class do you really teach?

    I am sure your class must be real smart to understand that you did not know what was happening.

    anyway these things happen and that is how we learn. I am proud that you have all the guts to admit to your class. This is how we learn and live.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you visitor # for wanting a part of my thoughts..