Sunday, June 22, 2008

The price of distance..

..is too great sometimes. Every one of us who has ever moved away, even to the next city or to another locality nearby feels this at some point or another.

To be in another country altogether is even tougher. I will have been in the US for 5 years now this July. I've missed all the usual things from back home like food, drink, friends, family. But the thing that I miss the most is opportunities.

The opportunity to run into someone I know at a bar and have 10 drinks with them. The opportunity to pick up the phone and meet at the nearest coffeeshop. The opportunity to play endless games of scrabble. The opportunity to say hi to my dad when he walks home from work. The opportunity to play "kicchad football" after the first rains. To switch on the TV and just watch the most random cricket game. To sit around sea face and chat about nothing and everything. The opportunity to meet friends of a friend and "bitch" about them. A 100 and one different things. The opportunity to harass my sister about a neice or nephew. To relive moments that have had some meaning to me.

It's not that I cannot do that here. I probably could...some definitely yes but most definitely no. There've been countless times where I'm browsing through my phone book (which still has all the India phone numbers on it) and want to call people up. Random people...people I've not spoken to in ages. Sometimes I'll actually start dialing the international numbers but the time and distance make it difficult and then the moment is gone.

This december I plan on making hay when the sun shines !

1 comment:

Thank you visitor # for wanting a part of my thoughts..